Aug 28, 2018
Applying the StoryBrand Framework with J.J. Peterson - Chief of
Staff - StoryBrand.
This week on the Catalyst Sale Podcast we revisit StoryBrand and
the StoryBrand Framework. This is one of my favorite
discussions to date, and one that I think many of you will save and
listen to multiple times.
We even manage to get some "free consulting" out of J.J. on the
podcast, and have applied his recommendations to our home
page. Thank you J.J.
- How has StoryBrand impacted what we are doing at Catalyst
- Why do we/Companies want to be the hero?
- Why do we feel like we have to fall back on feature
functionality, rather than the customer story?
- Does the hero know what success or failure looks like at the
- How can we communicate better, and speak more plainly?
- Have you used the Starbucks test?
- How can you create magical moments in your customer
- StoryBrand - brand scripts at Catalyst Sale - when we consider
new products or services, a StoryBrand brandscript is part of the
- Brandscript - how to talk to the customer in a way that
illustrates what's important and helps them engage in the
- We know the people at parties who only talk about themselves,
they annoy us. For some reason, we think we need to do this
in sales, and ultimately it comes across as insincere.
- The Hero does not become the Hero until the end of the
- The Guide does not transform throughout the story.
- The Hero goes through an up-down-up-down cycle.
- Think of Mary Poppins - she is the guide, not the hero.
The dad is the hero who goes through the hero's journey
- Features are about us, the benefit is about the customer.
- StoryBrand BrandScript - 6 things you need to address.
- # 1 - Identity who your character is (customer) - What do they
want, and what do they want to be.
- # 2 - Identity what is the problem & what do they need to
overcome. (position yourself as a brand that solves problems)
- # 3 - You have to position yourself as the guide. Do this
through Empathy & Authority.
- # 4 - The Plan - "here's the plan" - your customer needs to see
that there is a way forward. (don' t land on the feature,
always land on the benefit)
- # 5 - Call to Action - what's the next step, no guessing
- # 6 - There are stakes - Success or Failure
- When you are talking about failure, you do not need to pile
- When it comes to success, talk about things in the context of
short-term & long-term.
- People do not have time to think - if you make me think, you
are going to lose me.
- Big words confuse people - think about this question "what is
- Starbucks test - 3 seconds, 3 questions
- What do we do?
- How does it make your life better?
- How can I get it?
- Create magical moments for your customers, focus on the
details, deliver the experience.
- The story is not about you as a company - it is about the
Thank you for rating and reviewing the podcast via iTunes,
Google Play, or your favorite podcast platform. Ratings &
reviews help others discover the podcast - thank you for
helping us get our message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or
contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google
In every business, in every opportunity, there is
someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close
the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process
(Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of
accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false
starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth
environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer
needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process
that enables results versus a process that tells people what to
a Thinking Process.