Dec 29, 2020
In this episode, Mike talks to
Liston Witherill. Liston is the Author of Serve Don’t Sell, the
Chief of Sales Insights at Serve Don’t Sell and is the host of The
Modern Sales Podcast.
- What is the connection between
environmental science and sales?
- Why do sales folks struggle
with systems thinking concepts?
- Do you believe people struggle
- Why is it important to discuss
ethics in sales?
- What challenges our ethics when
it comes to sales?
- How can we create better
alignment between business and personal ethics?
- Environmental Science and Sales
both need systems thinking
- What are the variables and
factors that influence how the system works?
- How can we picture our business
as a system that has inputs and outputs?
- The only way to make sales a
science is to have really large data points and the reality is,
that is tough to get.
- We can apply the scientific
method to sales - hypothesis, test, ask questions, isolate for
- Science is about finding cause
and effect. You must have a methodical approach and some
- People don’t know how or what
to practice or what practice would even look like.
- Not having a process
contributes to how a discovery call goes.
- Write out
- The value of practice is it
frees you up to be in the moment to ask really good follow-up
- If you don’t have your team
present in the same way, there is no way to optimize the
- We can’t pinpoint what causes
success or failure when there is too much variability.
- It is important to sell
ethically if you want to sustain being effective at sales and live
in a way that is compatible with your values.
- It is important because the
bottom line is, it is the right thing to do.
- Serve Don’t Sell - sometimes it
means to give advice that’s counter to my own personal
- We need to understand what our
boundaries are and then we need to honor them once we have reached
- Challenges to ethics - loss
aversion, mindset and faith.
- If you have a bigger pipeline
and you have more financial security, then it’s going to be a lot
easier to honor your ethics.
- Have a clear understanding of
what values your company has that you don’t want to honor. What you
have control over always is your behavior.
This episode is brought to you by The Seven
Traps To Goal Setting
Work With Catalyst Sale:
- Listen to our free resource
(this podcast) and then put the action items into practice. Share
your work with us via Twitter or email@example.com
- Invest in a Catalyst Sale
course - self directed. Find our courses here
- Hire us as a consultant/advisor within your team or
Please send listener questions
and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us directly
on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Learn more about Catalyst Sale,
and the products and services we provide via the following
Growth Acceleration - Plateau
Product Market Fit
The G.A.M.E. Plan - a
Catalyst Sale course