Dec 18, 2018
Common Listener Questions - Prospecting & Outreach
Prospecting & outreach is another common topic we discuss
with folks we coach, clients we work with, and listeners of the
podcast. This week we dive deep into the tactical detail of
conducting research, beginning outreach, and the importance of
One assumption we make in this podcast is that you are operating
in an organization that has not adopted an inbound approach, and
the core of your business comes from direct outreach and
- If someone asks for help with outreach, where do you
- What action should we take if we are starting from zero when
- What are some common mistakes we make when conducting
- First, assess your current situation, you can start with these
- How do you define prospecting?
- How do you define outreach?
- How do you define your business development process
- How do you find customers?
- Be careful about going too broad.
- There is a difference between crabbing and catching fish -
decide what approach is going to work best for your potential
- Once you have identified the role of the folks that you are
interested in speaking with, start your search within LinkedIn or
LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
- Establish your filters based on the desired profile.
- Determine if the people are within the spectrum of your ideal
customer profile. (i.e. organization size between 500 and
- Look at the companies, and identify those that you have
something in common. You may use their products, know people
who work there, own stock in the organization.
- Begin conducting research into the organization.
- Take action, be
- With the "casting the net" approach, you hope/anticipate that
something is going to come to you. The risk here is that this
is a bit more passive, and the fish may find another route.
- Casting a line requires specific intent. You cast to a
target. You focus on quality over quantity.
- There are multiple approaches that you can take to engage with
those who you would like to speak with.
- Take a personalized approach, do the research, do your
- The person on the other end should understand why it is worth
trading their time to spend time with you. It's your job to
identify and convey this.
- Lee Cockerell - "Don't ask me something that you could have
- Prospecting is about the customer, it is not about you.
- You are trying to discover the people who care about the
problem that you are trying to address.
- Ask more questions.
- Be deliberate.
Thank you for rating and reviewing the podcast via iTunes,
Google Play, or your favorite podcast platform. Ratings &
reviews help others discover the podcast - thank you for
helping us get our message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to email@example.com or
contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google
In every business, in every opportunity, there is
someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close
the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process
(Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of
accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false
starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth
environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer
needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process
that enables results versus a process that tells people what to
a Thinking Process.