Oct 23, 2018
Common Question - What If The Customer/Prospect
goes Quiet - How do I Get Them To Re-engage?
This is one of the more common questions we receive
from listeners and from participants in our workshops/training
sessions. How do I get the client/prospect to
This week on the Catalyst Sale Podcast we discuss
how to avoid this situation, what to do if you are in this
situation, and we have a bonus question around sales rep
Thank you for listening to, and sharing the
Catalyst Sale Podcast.
- How do I get the customer to re-engage?
- Why is this a common question?
- Is it important that the content is generated by your
- What if you are in a rut, how do you get out?
- Bonus Question - How do I make sure I get credit for the
- Sometimes the question is driven by sales
management and frequent requests for updates. CRM may not be
current, account plans may not be current.
- Sometimes the question is a result of sales rep
activity or perception. They could be experiencing be a slump
- Avoid the rut by not getting caught in the rut in
the first place.
- Project manage the sales cycle.
- Establish clear next steps
- Hold the client/prospect & yourself accountable to
these next steps.
- Create a reason to stay engaged.
- Account Planning
- Use your Account Plan.
- Maintain a list of next steps - what are the 1, 2,
or 3 items that I know that the client will need as they go
through the buyer journey.
- Know your gates.
- Design your next steps based on the journey that
you know your customer should go through. i.e. schedule time for
the demo, define participants, identify questions, schedule a
- Manage the buyer journey.
- Next steps should not be scripted out, but you
should understand the guideposts.
- Always have a list of resources or pieces of
information that you can share with the client/prospect that will
- Whitepapers, blog posts, podcast, etc
- Let them know that you have come across the post,
and you thought of them.
- Provide context
- Have a call to action - this might be an open
deliverable that the client is responsible for completing.
- Take on the role of curator, you are curating
information, don't fall into the trap of only sharing content you
- Context is critical.
- Don't fall into the trap of only working with one
point of contact. Expand your network within the
- Give yourself another option/person to communicate
- Build up a level of trust with others in the
- What if you are in a rut, or the prospect/client
has gone quiet - what do you do?
- Be patient, don't let your problem become the
- Evaluate the situation, where did things leave
- Find something, a compelling event, a location,
and use it as a reminder to re-engage.
- It is about them, it is not about you.
- Maintain a service-oriented approach.
- Help your client solve problems.
- Don't make up the story in your head. Stay
engaged. Build your network.
Bonus Question - A Prospect Re-engages, How Do I Make Sure I
get Credit for the Sale?
- Sometimes a prospect/client will go silent, a
couple of months later they may return via the website. They
fill out a lead form and get re-directed to someone else in the
- You, as the rep are responsible for documenting
- Ask the question - if you have been working with
them for over a year, why did they come through the website?
- Sometimes this is the result of client
- Sometimes they are looking for a competitive
- Do your job - make sure you are following your
- Ask the prospect - how did you find us?
- Establish clear process & procedures. Set
- Sometimes it makes sense to double comp the team -
you might identify a gap in your own process.
Thank you for rating and reviewing the podcast via iTunes,
Google Play, or your favorite podcast platform. Ratings &
reviews help others discover the podcast - thank you for
helping us get our message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to email@example.com or
contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google
In every business, in every opportunity, there is
someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close
the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process
(Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of
accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false
starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth
environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer
needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process
that enables results versus a process that tells people what to
a Thinking Process.