Sep 11, 2019
Guest - Dan Pontefract, Author - Open to Think
Dan is the author of Open to Think, an awesome read on the
process of thinking, aspects of thinking, issues that get in the
way of thinking, and what you can do about improving your
We hope you enjoy this discussion as much as we did.
Thank you for listening to & sharing the Catalyst Sale
- Why do we struggle with thinking?
- Why do we like to go to the
- How do we overcome stress, distraction or
- What are some ways leaders can build empathy?
- Prioritization - how can we do better at
- What inspired Dan to write the book?
- What are the three types of thinking?
- What are some examples of where things have gone
bad when we fall to think?
- Busyness gets in the way of Thinking
- We are distracted
- Our minds wander
- Think of the dogs in up - "Squirrel"
- Inability to say no gets in the way of Thinking
- We forget to subtract
- We are addicted to the dopamine hit
- We are good at doing.
- Plato's warning about the Book.
- We are distracted
- In 2016 distracted driving outpaced drunk driving
- We don't like to say no
- We need to remove distractions and consciously invoke
- Executive function is not fully formed until the mid-20s
- Be mindful - be into the point of why you are where you
- Attentiveness to what is going on "in the moment"
- Block things out
- Empathize / life is difficult these days
- Rational empathy - sensing (mind of someone else)
- Emotional empathy - feeling the pain
- Sympathetic empathy- observing and reacting
- Time is our most precious asset/resource
- Prioritization - When the leader helps the team with management
of their time good things tend to happen.
- Recognize the way the leader prioritizes will be different from
the team. This should not be micromanaged.
- Indirect - Don't accept the default meeting times - Free up
- Direct - Coach, guide.
- The inspiration for Open To Think
- Maybe there is a lack of purpose because our thinking is not
like it was back with the greeks.
- Cole - How many more mother's days to they have left?
- Dream, Decide, Do - Repeat
- Types of Thinking - ~ min 31 of the episode.
- Open Thinking revolves around three types of thinking.
- Creative Thinking - Do you Reflect?
- Critical Thinking - Decide - How are you making that
- Applied Thinking - commitment to take action on something you
- Don't skip critical thinking to get to applied thinking, and
don't skip applied thinking to get back to creative - Leverage your
- Hawaii example
- Rushed and not thought through
- Listen to the evidence
- "Beware the barrenness of a busy life" - Socrates
Thank you for rating and reviewing the podcast via iTunes,
Google Play, or your favorite podcast platform. Ratings &
reviews help others discover the podcast - thank you for
helping us get our message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or
contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google
In every business, in every opportunity, there is
someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close
the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process
(Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of
accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false
starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth
environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer
needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process
that enables results versus a process that tells people what to
a Thinking Process.