Oct 9, 2018
Take a Personalized Approach to Your Cold
Do you remember playing Mad Libs as a kid? I
remember long car rides and crazy stories. This is not an
approach you should take with your outreach to prospects, nor
should you take this approach when drafting your proposals.
It is not personalized, and it is manufactured.
This week on the Catalyst Sale Podcast, Jody
and I share some stories about guest requests we have received,
including some good behavior and some bad ones. We take these
stories and connect the dots between this, and your cold outreach
Let us know how you personalize your outreach to
- How often do you receive
requests to be on the
- What if, I don't know you, but I'm a fan, how do I
ask to be on the podcast?
- How do you personalize outreach?
- How does this relate to sales?
- The copy paste approach is lazy and is not
- Typos can be repeated
- Context is lost
- Don't play the numbers game
- Psuedo customized is better than copy paste, but
it is still not great.
- This may seem more personalized, but if you are
just replacing nouns and verbs, your prospects will see right
- Take a personalized approach to your outreach
- Reminder - being personal does not scale
- This approach takes thought, and a high-level
understanding of who the person is on the other end.
- Let them know what compelling event led to the
- Include a clear call to action
- Provide Context - why did you reach out?
- When conducting outreach to Catalyst Sale about being a guest
on the podcast, consider the following.. (this can apply to
any outreach, really)
- What was the compelling event that led to the
- Answer this question - How can you help our
- Demonstrate that you did the work - share what you
- Help by connecting the dots between the problem
& the solution
- Suggest a discussion to see if there is the right
- Demonstrate you know what you are talking
- Make sure your profile is relevant
- Build rapport, don't pitch
- Don't be I/me focused
- Be transparent
- Fit is critical
- Templates don't work - use guidelines or
guideposts to frame your approach.
- Make the communication personal
- Do the work, do the research
- Put the outreach in context
- Help connect the dots for the person on the other
- Describe the value they may get or give
- Context is critical
- Context matters
Thank you for rating and reviewing the podcast via iTunes,
Google Play, or your favorite podcast platform. Ratings &
reviews help others discover the podcast - thank you for
helping us get our message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or
contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google
In every business, in every opportunity, there is
someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close
the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process
(Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of
accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false
starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth
environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer
needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process
that enables results versus a process that tells people what to
a Thinking Process.