Feb 27, 2018
Listener Question - What is the difference between Training
Matt's company is implementing a new sales process, some
folks believe they need training, others believe coaching is a
better fit. He asks "what is the difference between Coaching
This week on the Catalyst Sale Podcast we discuss the difference
between training and coaching, and the scenarios where training may
be a better fit. We also discuss why coaching may work
better, and why organizations do not take this approach.
- What is the difference between Coaching & Training
- Within an organization how do you tell if the team needs
training or that there are some individuals who would benefit from
- What are some of the benefits of coaching vs. training?
- Training is an event, designed to meet a specific set of
- Coaching is personal, it is 1:1, and tailored to the individual
- One of the benefits of a good coach is their ability to see the
things that you may not be able to see yourself.
- Start asking the people who are leading the teams you are
- What are they doing well?
- What would you like to see more of?
- Establish the edges of the organization.
- The how starts with the answers to these questions
- If it is a training issue, you start to identify the core items
that the team needs.
- If it is a coaching issue, look to see how you can improve what
individuals are doing well today.
- Coaching is tough, it may not be scalable.
- One of the core benefits of coaching is the
- Another benefit to coaching is the ability to reveal blind
- A coach can help you make the minute adjustments that can lead
to significant success.
- Coaching - because it is so personal, you have to be invested
in the individual.
- Coaching is not for everyone, some people are not in the
specific mindset that can benefit from coaching.
- The person seeking out a coach does so with the intention of
- Don't fail alone.
We are actively increasing our engagement on Twitter, LinkedIn,
and Facebook, and look forward to hearing from you. Please
share your questions, comments, and recommendations with us via
twitter at @catalystsale or @simmons_m
Thank you for rating and reviewing the podcast via iTunes,
Google Play, or your favorite podcast platform. Ratings &
reviews help others discover the podcast - thank you for
helping us get our message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to email@example.com or
contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google
In every business, in every opportunity, there is
someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close
the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process
(Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of
accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false
starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth
environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer
needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process
that enables results versus a process that tells people what to do.
a Thinking Process