Jun 12, 2018
Compensation, Building Business Acumen, and
Round 2 with Guest - Jennifer McClure - Speaker,
Executive Coach, President of Unbridled Talent & CEO of
Jennifer McClure, CEO Unbridled Talent & DisruptHR joins us
for her second appearance on the Catalyst Sale Podcast. We
cover a number of topics this week, including the gender pay gap,
building business acumen, and networking both inside and outside of
The gender pay gap discussion was prompted by a twitter chat
initiated by a friend of the podcast - Cara North. Thanks for
listening to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
- How real is the gender pay gap issue?
- What can we do to fix the issues at an individual level?
- How can we prepare for the salary/compensation
- How can we build our business acumen, financial acumen,
understanding of general business strategy?
- How can people improve their approach to networking?
- The issue is real, it is clearly an issue. Women are typically
paid less than men for doing the same job.
- The smart HR Leader/Business Leader will look at the current
pay structure for their team.
- This may exist today because the leadership is not looking at
the data. They may not be looking at the data because they believe
this is not an issue they are having at their organization.
- From an employee standpoint...
- You have a choice, your goal is to get paid what you are
- Consider all of the parameters - Salary, Opportunity, etc.
- Make your choice, own your choice.
- From a manager's standpoint...
- If you notice issues in pay equity, you should take measures to
fix the issue.
- Look at the data objectively
- Create a communication plan
- This is not part of a merit increase budget
- It is on you to make the business case. Use the
data, work with your HR leadership to help make the business
- Separate this type of adjustment from performance.
- Make the change once you recognize the error.
- What would it cost us to replace the person?
- If they came in today and said they were resigning or
leaving for another opportunity, would we counter with a similar
- Preparing for the negotiation
- Do the research.
- Know your worth.
- Power comes from information.
- Know the top things that are important to you, before you get
seduced by the role or the conversation.
- Have the data.
- Own your choice, create your own opportunities.
- Understanding what the biggest problems are, that the business
has to solve.
- We tend to look at ourselves first, rather than the
- Talk to the functional leaders within the business.
- What are your challenges?
- What obstacles are you facing?
- There are a number of things you will hear, if you are having
- If you want to work at a strategic level, you have to be
solving business problems.
- Ask questions & listen
- There are no stupid questions when you are truly seeking ways
to help others be successful. (Be Intentional)
- Any system that takes the human connection out of the process
in networking, and allows you to network at scale, is not
- Networking is not Marketing.
- Add value first, but don't do so "automatically, every two
- Relationships & Networking should be intentional.
- You can share value, people can connect, when they are ready to
engage, they will do so.
- Outbound/Outreach - be intentional, be personal.
- Whether it is Pay Equity issues, knowing your worth as a
candidate, networking with others - be intentional.
- Do the research on your end to understand how you can add
- The action starts with you.
Call to Action
How do you build business acumen? Let us know via
twitter @catalystsale or email us directly.
Please share your stories with us @catalystsale on twitter or
Ratings & reviews help others discover the podcast -
thank you for helping us get the message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or
contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Sale - Sales Fundamentals Training Program
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google
In every business, in every opportunity, there is
someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close
the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process
(Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of
accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false
starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth
environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer
needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process
that enables results versus a process that tells people what to do.
a Thinking Process.